Serves 8 – 10 people
You will need a large trifle bowl
Preparation time: 20 minutes. Chilling time: overnight.
3 eggs, separated
100g caster sugar
250g tub mascarpone
100ml whipping cream
300ml strong coffee, made with 2 tbsp coffee granules and 300ml boiling water
175g pack sponge fingers
2 teaspoons of cocoa powder or 60g grated chocolate
Raspberries and pomegranate seeds to decorate
• Place the yolks into a mixing bowl with half the sugar. Use an electric whisk and whisk to a pale yellow, thick, creamy consistency.
• Add the mascarpone and whisk for a minute, then pour in the whipping cream and continue to whisk to a thick cream.
• In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites and remaining sugar to a stiff meringue.
• Fold the meringue into the cream mixture.
• Pour coffee into a shallow dish. Dip the sponge fingers into the coffee for a few seconds until they are nicely soaked, but not soggy. Lay half into a dish, then spread over half of the cream mixture.
• Cover with half the cocoa powder or grated chocolate.
• Repeat with a layer of fingers and finish with a layer of cream.
• Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight, it will keep in the fridge for up to two days.
• To serve, decorate with fresh raspberries and pomegranate seeds, then dust with cocoa powder or sprinkle with the remainder of the chocolate.